The Moscow Metro was one of the USSR’s most ambitious architectural projects. The metro’s artists and architects worked to design a structure that embodied svet (radiance or brilliance) and svetloe budushchee (a radiant future).
The first line was opened to the public on 15 May 1935 at 07:00 am. It was 11 kilometres (6.8 mi) long and included 13 stations. The second stage was completed before the war.
Building work on the third stage was delayed (but not interrupted) during World War II, and two Metro sections were put into service. After the war ended in 1945, construction began on the fourth stage of the Metro